... hmm.

... okay, so I just got my grade back from the last sketch assignment I turned in, and I'm not sure what to think. She gave me a B, saying, "proportionally it is technically precise and does not match the level of work in your portfolio. If you did not use a photograph by means of the light table as an aid please come see me."

... uh, what? while I know a lot of my friends who can't draw as well used traced photos for the assignment and she mentioned it, I had no idea she'd think mine was as well. I sat outside for five hours drawing that piece, and all freehand with no rulers or pictures or anything! Just my paper and pen, that's all. And I felt like it looked just like my "portfolio pieces" (which are really just quarter-page ink drawings which I *had* referenced from photographs), if not better since it was done in person, not by a picture. Does it really look like I traced? Heck, half of the people who did traced you wouldn't know just because they are bad tracers. Why should I be punished for having skill in freehand perspective?

... I'm not sure if I should be upset by her statement or proud of it...

2 comments:

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

I think you should go talk with her.

Sarah said...

I did, and once she understood I didn't trace it, she seemed to really like my drawing a lot. ...apparently my grade is not so much reflective of the sketch as it was the writing part that went with it. oh well, I'm an artist, not a writer. :P