Paris, part four - Rodin, Napolean, and Eiffel

Paris, France! Still hard to believe I even had a chance to see the city of lights, but it felt a little more real (although perhaps cliche) when I got to take my picture in front of the Eiffel Tower. We actually went there at the end of our second day. Before that and after the Orsay, we went to a few other places.
First, we stopped at the Rodin sculpture gardens and museum. Much smaller than the Orsay and completely sculptures. ... not my particular favorite, but the gardens were pretty and they had a few famous pieces as well.




... these are the Gates of Hell with very vivid representations of the apocolypse and inferno. The sculpture statues of Adam and Eve are places on the sides of it.
... a view of the garden area.
the famous Thinker. It was really crowded, so I couldn't get a very good picture, but there it is nonetheless.
Afterwards, we went to the museum of the history of war. We got there kind of late, so we didn't get to stay for very long.

... we were zooming through, so I only had a chance to snap a couple shots at the beginning of the dolls dressed in all the different uniforms used through the entire history of war, even before ancient civilizations. ...some of them sure make you wonder what the heck they were thinking when they designed outfits for military combat, like the one dead center below, lol.


Also in that complex is the tomb of Napolean, housed under this gold dome.

We actually were able to sit inside the church behind the dome for a while (before they kicked us out for a service that was starting). It was one of the prettiest churches I've seen in a while, probably because it was so light. All the white walls and rows and rows of windows made it so open and cheery.

... it also made it so much easier to take better photos, lol. I really liked the gold touched organ pipes in this church as well.
... more of the airy church with all the banners lined up.
This is on the other side of the partition between the private church and the public area of Napolean's tomb. This is an alterpiece that, while much smaller scale (in comparison), mimics that which I saw in St. Peter's Cathedral in Rome. It still stands at least 20 feet high, if I were to guess.
The tomb was on a lower level, centered beneath the tall thin dome. Visitors could look down at all the way around it. In side chapels on the main level were also other monuments and tombs for other famous frenchmen.
...the paintings and guilded gold ornamentation on the inside of the dome above (sorry for the off centered-ness).

...after visiting the tomb, we walked a ways in Paris to see the Eiffel Tower. This is actually the building across from the tower and the grounds around it. Unfortunately, grass is always gated off in Paris, so none of the few lush green lawns can be used (...or maybe that's how they stay so green).
the Eiffel Tower! in all it's fame ... was actually a little lackluster than I was expecting. Perhaps because it is so iconic and we see it everywhere, or perhaps because I had always imagined it black, whatever the reason, it just didn't strike me as so grand as everyone says it is. Nonetheless, it is still an interesting iron structure, very modern and fitting of it's time period, and it's pretty cool to say I've seen it in person.

...there was definitely a lot more details and a complicated busy feeling to all those iron beams than I had expected.
...the front of the tower, plastered with gold stars. ... i never could really fit the whole tower in one picture with my camera... it was too tall.

0 comments: