Venice, part five - Architecture Biennale


All day thursday, we spent touring the Venice Architecture Biennale, this gigantic annual international expo that switches between art and architecture each year. This year happened to be the year for architecture, so it was lucky (I suppose) for us students. There are two main sections, the Arsenale and Giardini. The first is an exposition of current famous practicing architects and their recent designs and ideas. The second presents exhibits from dozens of countries, each with their own pavilion where they can present their answer to the year's theme. This year's theme was "Beyond Building", and the interpretations were definitely varied.

There was so much to see but not much to say, so I figured a slideshow would suffice. Some of the stuff shown was interesting, some a little blah, many thoroughly weird, and some so extravagantly strange and bizzare that I have a hard time considering it architecture at all. I never realized how important graphic design was in the architectural world. Sketches and floorplans were actually quite rare in this whole biennale, more frequently using photographs or photoshopped fake images and graphic design presentation boards with perhaps some ambiguous "mappings" or diagrams. One thing though, I am learning a lot more about architects and how they present projects and ideas, and I'm beginning to feel that there is a fine line between modern architects and modern artists ... and I'm not so sure if I want to be either of those...

0 comments: