visiting the vineyard

This past Wednesday, since finals were so soon and everyone was very busy, we had a small fieldtrip. They took us for the afternoon to a local vineyard that grows grapes and olives and makes wine and olive oil. (above l-r: Rob, Erin, Jennifer, and Matt, a few of my friends here)
First, we toured the plantation and learned a bit about how the trees and vines are grown and what makes good wine and oil and how they are both made.


... the vineyard (the grapes have pretty much been all picked by now, since it's late in the season).

... the washing/stemming station in the wine making plant... much smaller than I expected for such a large vineyard. In the attic above this was where they stored the barrels of wine.

Then, we got to have a wine-tasting. Fortunately for me, it wasn't just wine, but also lots of appetizers, one or two for each wine served. So I got to enjoy my friends company and really good italian finger foods while they all tried the wines. I was hesitant to go at first (since i don't drink), but I'm glad I went. It was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. Plus, it was cold and rainy and dark by the time we were done and it would've been hard to walk back (it was over thirty minutes walking there in mid-afternoon when the sun was out), so they drove us back ... in the back of a van! haha, everyone called it the immigration van, as we packed over thirty of us in the back, standing, as they drove us back to the center. It was definitely an experience to bring us closer together (figuratively and literally), and at least we didn't have to walk in the cold, lol.

0 comments: