Rome, part five - Pantheon

Here it is - the Pantheon. What more can I say?

It really was something, to finally see it in person. I still marvel at the geometrical and structural genius that took to create it, and done so many centuries ago. The 150 feet diameter dome, if continued to create a sphere, would fit perfectly in the space. The way they coffered the ceiling, used lighter weight concrete as they went higher up the dome, thickened the lower support walls, and created the 30 foot occulus in the center enabled the dome to stand on its own without any outside buttressing systems and it has withstanded time to become one of the most complete and original ancient architecture today. If you couldn't tell, I just find this building amazing. I'll just let the pictures do the talking (and I'm proud to say, unlike my other entries, I took every single one of these photos). Enjoy!












0 comments: