Arezzo

On Saturday, the center had a "highly recommended" (aka required) field trip to the neighboring city Arezzo in order to learn how to use the train station. In general, the city seemed really nice and I'm sure I'll go back many times before the year is over, but they kinda just threw us in without really any plans, and we didn't leave until late morning so that by the time we got there, we only had an hour or so before 'siesta' time when everything closes. And, on top of that, it was one of the hottest days of the year for the area. I would have gone much earlier in the morning and read more about the town before going.

On the other hand, this weekend was a big event in the city. Twice a year they hold a city-wide jousting tournament with lots of parades and festivals going on for the entire week beforehand. Tickets for the actual joust (on Sunday) have been sold out for weeks, so we couldn't go, but we did get to see some of the parade. The city has four quarters or neighborhoods, so to speak, that each send two men to compete. They have to ride on a horse really fast and hit a small target with a lance, getting more points for certain locations, losing points for dropping the lance but doubling their points if they break the lance. Each quarter gets really spirited and dressed up in their respective colors. The actual parade and competitors dress up in medieval garb, which was really neat to see. I wish I could have seen the joust, but I guess the parade was enough. They also have an antique market going on at the same time (which fortunately didn't close for 'siesta').
Some of the parade in costume
one of the town squares where the joust would be held the next day


For those who've seen Life is Beautiful, these two places might look familiar... :)

part of the market

some street artist's unfinished chalk drawing that I thought was really good
The main cathedral there (didn't catch the name) ... again, since we didn't plan this trip very well, we ended up waiting an hour for it to open because everything else was closed and we'd already seen all of the antique market that we wanted to.

... it was so beautiful inside though. I loved just sitting and listening to the organ play. We couldn't stay too long, though, because they were getting ready for a wedding to take place in the chapel.

one part of the ceiling and just one example of the heavily detailed paintings in these places.

2 comments:

Richard Crookston said...

It looks like everywhere you go there are interesting and beautiful things. I will have to watch Life is Beautiful again.

Have fun.

Love,
Dad

grandma & grandpa said...

I feel so blessed that I have grandchildren that visit exotic places and them share them with me on their blogs. thank you so much. I love hearing about your life and seeing all these wonderful photos. this is probably the closest I will ever get to Italy. so it is fun to live it vicariously with you. Love Grandma Crookston