Last Friday, I went with a few friends on a day trip to Cortona, sort of a sister city to Castiglion. It is very similar size and style, also built on a hill, but I think it is higher up the hill/mountain because it felt like looking down to the valley was a lot steeper. However, the roads were a lot less steep and wider. They just winded and curved up the side a lot more than in CF. We took a bus which wasn't too bad, about 20 minutes away, but due to some confusion we accidentally bought too many tickets. Oh well - now we have extra bus tickets if we ever need a ride.
We went to a couple churches and looked in a bunch of shops and a few small art galleries, but most of the day was just spent walking... a LOT. For those who might know, Cortona is the setting of Under the Tuscan Sun. And the author who wrote the book for the movie really lives there. So of course all the girls I was with just had to see the house from the movie... which is outside of the main city... about a 45 minute walk... uphill. -_- to spend 5 minutes taking pictures of a house. granted, it was beautiful, just filled with flowers and butterflies and all the Tuscany glory, and the writer's husband actually looked over and greeted us, talked to us for a while (the others were ecstatic about that - now we can say we met Ed). But it was definitely a hike. Luckily, we didn't have any classes or much going on afterwards so I was able to take a much needed nap.
The scenery of Cortona, though, was just beautiful. We went really early, around 8:30, in the morning and it was so peaceful and cool outside, hardly any cars in the city, and some really pretty gardens and paths. I really like Cortona, and probably wouldn't object to going again. But I think I'll pass on seeing Ed again.
looking down the hill/mountain at Cortona
It was really windy that day...
some of the pastries at the cafe we stopped at for breakfast...
... and yet, Grace ordered pizza, lol.

Cortona's town hall - smaller than the other places, kind of nicer, not so overpowering
one of the small churches (can't remember the name) - it was undergoing rennovations, so we could only see the courtyard, though it was beautiful.
really unexpected and random, on the way up the side of the hill to get back to the center of the city were escalators!
one of the long stretches of road to get to Under the Tuscan Sun house, though this part I didn't mind. It was lined with trees, completely flat, cool shade, and great view of the valley, and best of all, no cars or mopeds to intrude on the serene silence. We did see families and joggers and dog walkers and little old couples walking along, all of whom were so friendly and said hi, even if they didn't know a word of English. If I lived here, I'd walk that road everyday...
...also because in the middle of it was a small peaceful flower garden with plenty of benches and a playground and sculptures amongst the pretty simple flowers. There was also an interesting fountain...
where Grace and Chris just had to get a picture of themselves whooping. (*whoop!* gig 'em, Aggies!)
Finally, after what seemed like hours of hiking up hill (after that straightway, more outside the city, the sidewalk became a road, a winding uphill battle in the now blazing sun... even Ed was surprised to here we walked it instead of drove), we finally arrived at *the house*. ... and stayed for maybe five minutes.
At the top of the mountain (yes, even more hiking) sits the main church/cathedral for the town, Santa Margarita, which houses the body of Saint Margarita (...I had no idea that cathedrals actually displayed the bodies, but here it was, glass coffin and all...). Aside from the slightly morbid aspect, the church itself was simply beautiful. It was actually by sheer luck we got to see it. We finally made it up to the top of the hill as the bells rang noon, when Jennifer discovered in her guide book that the church closed at noon, so we raced across the square as the little old nun was shutting the doors. Fortunately, she let us in since she must have realized what a trek we had just made. We only got to stay less than ten minutes before a monk came in and kinda shooed us out, but it was so calm and peaceful in that church. I think seeing all these gorgeous places of worship will be my favorite part of this whole study abroad experience. You just don't see this kind of craftsmanship in the states.
... more outside pics of the church.


one last shot of Cortona from the vantage point at Santa Margarita - I must say, I've had to loosen up from my fear of heights being in these towns.
0 comments:
Post a Comment