... a new semester

Every time a new term starts, after the first week people always say things like "did you survive your first week back?"... you know, they really should save that question for after the third week.

I've been here three weeks, and though it had felt like so much longer, it's still a bit of a shock when it dawns on me that January is over. The older I get, the faster time seems to pass me by. I mean, in just three months time, I'll be half way through my bachelor's (so long as I don't take an extra year). Hopefully I'll be able to get through this semester.

This term my classes are quite a bit different than my previous terms. The biggest difference: I'm not in a studio. Instead, I'm in a drafting/detailing class that teaches AutoCAD (computer drafting) and how to make accurate and precise construction drawings. I think it'll be a good class, but it's weird not to have a studio desk and space to call my own - I no longer have a place to retreat to in Langford when I've got spare time. Though the pros of not having huge stressful projects definitely offsets those cons.

Another huge difference is how my schedule is arranged. I only have one class M/W; the rest are all on T/R, with no classes on Fridays (yippee!). So, my other classes are:
Architectural Theory, writing intensive... -_- I haven't written a paper in many years, and don't really enjoy it much at all. Plus, so far the class has been all about ancient philosophy and very little about architecture--very dull. Sorry, but I just don't care about whether the table "truly exists" or if it's "just our senses deceiving us with a false perception". *yawn*. frankly, I've got better ways to waste my time. ... and it doesn't help that this class is at 8:00 in the morning...
Political Science - States and Local Gov't. my professor wrote the book and pretty much follows it nearly word for word. So I just underline what he says, maybe takes a few notes in the margins... but it's pretty difficult because so far there's not a whole lot of order or reason to the book, just a bunch of random charts and maps comparing random things and how it differs between states. Not much cohesion to his lectures or his book... maybe it'll get better.

Health/Self Defense - tuesdays are health lecture, easy but boring though the teacher is really nice and tries to keep us awake. She also teaches us self defense on thursdays, along with some minimal basic fitness. I like this class quite a bit. She lets us out early everyday, and yet I still feel like I'm learning something and getting a good workout. Plus, I never knew how fun it could be to hit a punching bag, now that I know proper techniques... heh heh heh. :)
Lastly, Structures, aka the physics of buildings. So far, it is really just a physics class where all the problems relate to construction. I like it so far - I like having a math related class again, and I feel like I understand it well enough. I'm not so thrilled at having to do two group projects, the first due tuesday, but my group seems to be working well together, and actually working, a definite plus, so I suppose it'll be okay.

Of course, I have yet to take any tests or quizzes or even get any grades back in any of these classes (well, I passed my first structures homework, but that's all I've gotten back so far). So, maybe in a couple weeks once I have some grades back I'll be changing my tune, but until then.

The rest of my life is pretty much same old, same old from last year. Still trying to do my calling as RS secretary as best as I can. I'm taking the second Book of Mormon class in institute (though I did notice that despite the fact our class only got halfway through Mosiah, we started in Alma 30... hmm.). And I still enjoy the choir, one of my few escapes that keeps me sane throughout the week (and especially to get me thru Sundays). Social life is still pretty dead... though I'm going to a Valentines' dance the institute is having ... despite the fact I despise the holiday... *sigh* oh well.

and life goes on...

... just five weeks until spring break!!! :D

0 comments: