the end of a very long yet also very short week...

... by that I mean, this week has been really long with tons of class work and projects and pulling 12 hour days in Langford nearly everyday. However, it has also been a short week in the sense that I can barely believe it's Saturday night, let alone March 24th!! Where does the time go? I feel like I barely left home from spring break. This week just flew by, that's for sure. The semester's already winding down and it feels like we just begun (in some things... granted, some aspects feel like I've been here forever, but I suppose that's just life). There is so much left to do in my classes and so few weeks. It seems every weekend from now until summer has something in it, making counting down seem even faster. Heck, Easter is in only two weeks!!! Crazy, no? I mean, class schedules for next semester are already posted - as if I have time to plan out my schedule for next fall! Everyone's getting their summer plans and fall semester plans in order. I feel like I barely have enough time to plan tomorrow's schedule for when I'll study or work on my projects, let alone plan for next year.

Anyway, I think I finally finished all my work for Monday though! ... now I need to start studying for my next rounds of tests - this coming week, History; the next week, Construction; and the week after that, Math -_- . But, I'll take a break and give an update. (Oh, by the way, midterms went well - I got a 5 (out of 5) on my design seminar essay!!! very estatic about that - and a 95 on my math test! :D now I just need to do it again come finals...)

Studio is a ... an interesting class, only word I could think of at the moment. It's really ambiguous what he wants most of the time, and few people actually stay in class (or come to class for that matter) for the entire period, the prof. included! He didn't even show all week this week and we have a preliminary for our project due Monday on which I really needed some answers to some questions where the class is split on what we need. Oh well, Prof. Hill seems pretty lax about everything and he doesn't seem to care much about prelims, just the final product. If a checkpoint is due during the course of the project and you have it, "okay", and if not "whatever, bring it next time". That's kind of nice if you forget or had time crunch, but it also really kills motivation to actually work on the project when it isn't really due and he doesn't care much if you did it or not. This class is definitely teach yourself/each other type class. He assigns the projects, but everything else, even interpreting his assignments, is left to us. Kind of seems like something's wrong when I'm paying tuition to not get taught anything... whatever. I'm just following everyone else's lead, and hopefully I'll be able to do well in the class, maybe even pull an A. We finished the chair and are now working on a three-bedroom house that can be passively cooled and wheelchair accessible. I just barely finished the floorplan this week and had to make a preliminary model of it for Monday. The final is due in a month or so. While working on the house, we are also going to (somehow) make 2 sculptures (that can go in or around our house); design a logo and make an embossed version of it; create an artsy picture of ourself; and create a portfolio to turn in at the end of the term. That's why these next few weeks are going to be so crammed...
Math is going pretty well. I'm acing all the quizzes and get most of it, but we are just starting some really tricky probability and statistics problems that I'm not fully understanding yet, so it might be getting harder now.
Design Seminar is going fine, I guess. Still no clue as to what I do differently to get a 4 versus a 5, but at least I'm getting 4's and 5's and I have no homework in it. :)
History is still going well, making a high A in this class. The only hard part of this class is staying awake. If I try to write down anything and everything, it helps (to stay awake - I don't really need the notes for the tests or quizzes; she posts study guides for all those that are all you really need to study). Lately, it's been a little easier to stay awake because what we're learning is paralleling the stuff I'm learning and discussing in my New Testament institute class, which makes it a lot more interesting and gives me a better grasp of Roman history and a better understanding of what's going on and where in the scriptures.
Construction is still a challenge - we've only had one test (I made a 71 on it, but it bumped up to an 88 with the curve) and it was really hard. Even in hindsight, I still don't know how I could of studied better for it. It was so random and specific, pretty impossible to study for unless you memorize the book. It's also really hard for me to concentrate on reading the book (hey if anyone has good focusing/studying tips, I'd be happy to hear them!) so I've gotten behind. Luckily (...maybe) it's only from one chapter (about 60 pages long) from the text and another 30 or so pages in our supplemental notes, a lot better than last semester where tests were over 4 or 5 chapters each. But that's a lot of pages to memorize, and it's all on foundations and soil - blah... Oh well, I guess it's good to know - I just didn't know there was so much to know about so little. :)
Computer Techniques started this week off quick. We started photoshop wednesday (monday's class got cancelled) with a few homework tutorials, and then were assigned a project due this monday. It took me a long time, but I think it turned out pretty neat. We had to create a picture made up of small pieces of other pictures, like those really neat big posters (only on a small scale). I finished this morning, which was good so I could work the rest of the day on my house for studio. Below some of the tutorials we did (the first three pictures) and my photoshop project (the fourth picture - it's a little darker and more purple than when I made it - annoyances of computer work: it never turns out like you expect it to) and the fifth picture is what the fourth picture is supposed to look like (hopefully).


what else is new? I just had spring break last week (as if you didn't know). It was pretty fun (except for Monday with the dentist - yuck!), spending a little over a week with my parents, just chilling at home. While I wasn't on some far off adventure like a lot of my friends, it was good to be with my family again... and to have some home cooked meals again... and to play the piano as often as I wanted... and not have any 8 o'clock classes or other obligations. Now I shall just have to wait until summer for that again... until I get a summer job... -_- ... but at least then I won't have classes, like a lot of my friends - it seems nearly everyone in my studio is taking summer classes for their gen eds like math and physics. Not me - I want my summer school-free thank you. I'll brave Physics 201 at Texas A&M, of which many horror stories are told (which is why most take it at other schools - even my prof. told me not to take it here!). Though first I'll have to get through the rest of this semester.

(Note: Let me clarify, the following three pictures were tutorials! I didn't pick out the pictures or the words, they were given. The fourth picture is my own creation with its inspiration under it.)










0 comments: