nearing three weeks in Aggieland...

Where does the time go? I've been here for nearly three weeks now! SOOOO much has happened since I last posted. For starters, I just finished earlier today my first studio project - hurray! ...yet weird all the same -it's barely mid September and I already have completed a project?! craziness!

Well, anyway, my prof. in studio has been really liking my piece (as one girl put it, I'm the 'infamous shadow box', the one she keeps telling everyone else about...), so let's hope that she likes the finished product as well as the idea... and that it translates to a good grade. It's due tomorrow, so I'll be sure and take a picture of it before I turn it in, then I'll post all the 'steps in the process' as they seem to like to see how the 'artwork evolved'. Whatever. It does look kind of neat to see what I started with and what I ended up with. I'd nearly forgotten what the original art piece that I was interpreting even looked like! Oh well. [Hopefully, you'll get a better idea once I post them...] Everyone is hoping that Prof. Rogers will give us the weekend off after we turn in this project, but not very likely - she was already posting pictures of the site of our next project on the board yesterday in class. -_- *sigh...* I guess that's just life as an arch. major.

As for my other classes: Systems is still questionable - we had our first quiz this week, but I don't know how I did yet. Some questions seemed kind of hard or tricky while others were almost too easy. We just barely moved on from the droning lectures on global warming and how bad we, esp. the US, treat the earth and how us, the rising generation of young architects, are the only ones who can and must fix it. -_- dooms day speeches get old after a while. Today we actually started discussing different climates, though just barely got into it. It's going really slowly. And it doesn't help that my teacher is Chinese who talks too quietly on top of a thick accent so I have a hard time hearing what she says.

In Modern Arch. History, my prof. finally came yesterday. We've had subs all year as my prof had some difficulty getting her visa to fly out of Brazil. She seems nice enough, but has a very thick accent making some things hard to understanding her, and she speaks very very slowly which makes it easy to start to nod off. But she seems very passionate (in her words) about modern architecture, so maybe once she's in Texas a while and gets used to speaking English more often and we get used to hearing her, it'll be easier to understand her... hopefully.

Oceanography is really boring but so far easy too. The lecture prof just drones on and on, and it's difficult to take notes when everyone around you is either reading the newspaper or texting or sleeping. The lab, on the other hand, is kind of interesting. The TA who teaches it is a grad student who seems really cool, and I learn more from him in twenty minutes than I do from my lecture prof in several hours. And, all we do in the class are pre- and post-lab quizzes online and then worksheets of the data in class - no formal lab write ups! :D And my lab partner seems nice and works well. It only meets once a week and we can leave as soon as were done, which usually isn't very long. So I guess this won't be too horrible of a science, since I had to take one.

Health and Pilates, on the other hand... I'm not really enjoying it so far. It's a lot harder than I anticipated, and I wasn't thinking it would be really easy either, and it hurts more than I thought it would too... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I feel way worse coming out of it than I did before. I wish I knew some people in there, well, someone other than the one girl I do know - she's really tall and thin and the exercises come really easily for her, not exactly encouraging for me since she doesn't see how they can be hard. :( I suppose I'll just have to stick with it until the end of the year. Three weeks of it down, right?

Roommate situation getting a little better. We are talking a little more now, and we might actually become friends, or at least friendly. She even got me to go with her to a midnight yell last friday night, something even my last roommate never accomplished. So, even though she's on the phone a lot, perhaps it won't be so bad after all.

I'm in institute now, Book of Mormon 1, and really enjoying it. It's twice a week, which is really nice - all the other institute classes are only once a week but longer - I'd rather go for shorter amounts more often. There's only about seven students who come, but that how I prefer it. We get into some really great discussions and I'm learning a whole lot, getting lots more stuff to ponder. And, since I have some extra time after class before my next class, I get to play the piano! It's so nice to be able to play at least twice a week - it's the thing I miss most coming to school.

Speaking of church, I've been three times now, and I still feel like I don't know half the ward. With time, hopefully I will get to know more. Choir's back in session, and while Neva's not directing anymore, a music major, Shannon, is and she has a lot of great stuff planned, so I think it will work out well. I'm really excited to be able to sing again. Also, I just got a new calling last Sunday (no, not FHE leader, thank goodness) - Relief Society Secretary!!! That was a huge surprise for me - I didn't even know we didn't have one! And I think I may have set a record for speediest calling: the clerk called me around noon on Sunday asking me to come to church early to talk with the bishop; at 12:45 the bishop extended the calling and I accepted; half an hour later in sacrament meeting I was called over the pulpit for the vote; after sacrament mtg and during Relief Society, I was given the secretary binders and info for my calling; right after church I was sustained, the whole thing being done and official by 4:10. Talk about fast! I really feel like I was thrown into it and not really sure what I am supposed to be doing. I've already even been to a presidency meeting and everything. I just hope that I'll be able to balance it with all my school load I already have without either suffering for the other one. I suppose I wouldn't have been called if it wasn't possible for me to fulfill this calling, though I sure hope I'll get some divine help to get me through these next few weeks...

So my life, as if it were possible, has gotten even busier. Sorry for the long entry, but given recent events and the fact that I finished my project and actually had a night off, I thought I should write since I probably won't be able to post much until my next project is done. I will post my project pictures tomorrow though.

Oh, and by the way, Texas A&M won their game in triple over time last Saturday! Gig 'Em Aggies!

0 comments: