My first week here is done and the weekend is here, though I must say it feels a lot different than I thought it would. Probably because I have only been to three classes.Ice ended up being really bad on Wednesday, so no school for a second day, though it was pretty much gone by Thursday. I haven't seen so much ice in several years. All the buildings and trees and sidewalks were glazed with nearly half an inch of ice. A tree in front of my dorm even fell down with the weight of ice. Icicles were hanging down in some places as big as a foot (maybe even longer) and even the bikes were completely frozen to the racks with little icicles on the handles. It finally quit raining and warmed up enough to melt it all, but it must as well been raining on Thursday because all the big trees, which of course line every single sidewalk, were dumping cold water drops and huge ice chunks (which hurt considerably) all day long. Now all that's left is the slushy mud leftover from the massive amounts of sand they put on all the walkways that is impossible to clean off my shoes.
So other than gritty sand and temperatures still in the 40's (cold for here), it's been pretty nice. And extremely fortunately, I haven't had to go to my design or computer classes yet, just lectures, which in turn means I didn't get bombarded with tons of school work and supply lists yet. It's kind of nice to have only been to lectures. I had construction science 2 and history of western architecture 1 (I took history 2 last semester) yesterday and math today, basically a college algebra 2 class with business emphasis. Construction looks a lot harder than last semester- I might actually have to do something in that class. I keep hearing horror stories about it but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the first one was a blow off class. It sounds like as long as I don't procrastinate I'll be fine... so we'll have to see about that one. History sounds similar and fun, just like last semester, though it will cover a lot more time range. Last year we did late gothic (1300ish) to the 19th century. This class goes from prehistory, like stonehenge (3000 BC) to late gothic. So that should be interesting. Math sounds pretty easy so far and even though I didn't recognize a single person, I couldn't help but feel a slight sense of happiness - oddly enough, I missed having math. It always was my favorite subject in school. The teacher seems really nice too (though I feel bad for her; she's just now recovering from surgery on both feet so she has to use a wheel chair and a walker). I also didn't realize how much I miss having class that's only 50 minutes long. I haven't had that since middle school. So that shouldn't be too bad.
That's all I've been to so far. Next week I'll start my design studio, design seminar, and computer visual tech. classes. Hopefully they won't be too bad.
0 comments:
Post a Comment