Where does the time go?

Before I knew it, time had flown by and it's a week before Thanksgiving. A ton has happened since I last wrote, so I thought now would be a good time (since I actually don't have homework at the moment).

First off, the last weekend in October I went home for a long weekend. This semester I don't have any classes on Fridays and the College of Architecture canceled classes for October 30th for some graduate thesis thing, so I had a four day weekend. Nearly everyone I knew in my major went home (or at least away) for the weekend. It was my first time going home and driving from College Station to Allen on my own, though I did have my friend Matt from high school that is in my major and half of my classes that carpooled with me. That helped, esp. since he knew the way (and he paid for half the gas! haha). It was soooooooo nice to be home, I didn't want to go back, but ... in a way fortunately, I had to take Matt back, so it forced me to come back. Don't get me wrong, I like it here... mostly. I've just been really homesick lately and it's stressful at times. I had to even do homework in Allen since I had so much to do, but I did get to pick up supplies, so that was handy. But mostly, I spent the time hanging out with my parents, eating real food for a change, playing games, and just relaxing. It was definitely worth the four hour drive each way.

Tuesday after this was Halloween. Since I had been so busy and missed the institute's halloween party that weekend, I didn't think I'd do anything for it and didn't have a costume. However, the department held their annual Archi-torture party and most of my studio went. Since I was in studio at the time, I joined along for a fun break and even had a make shift costume. Once I can get the pictures to load, I'll explain my costume (it won't make sense without the pictures). There were a lot of really fun costumes and good candy, of course, so it was a nice short break in the evening (lots of projects were due the next day).

Into November has been pretty hectic. I had my midterms (which I did well on, thankfully - 94 on construction and a 100 on arch. history, very stoked about that one!) and then starting new projects, drawing definitely piling them on. *sigh* But luckily, it's down to the last few classes of each. Only 5 more meetings of each class! Next week my Wednesday classes got canceled (for thanksgiving, very thankfully), so I only go to classes Monday and Tuesday. Then I get back with one full week and then a half week into December (the 4th and 5th). Next, two "dead" days (6th and 7th), then finals Dec. 8th - 13th, and then I go home!!! It still amazes me how soon that is and how early classes end. I'm so used to high school and such when it was considered great when we got out before the 20th or so. I'll be home by the 14th! I would go home sooner, but I have one exam, my history that is the last day of exams in the afternoon on the 13th. I'm going to have nothing to do but study for that one exam for nearly a week because my other finals/projects will be done with by the 8th. *blah* Oh well, can't help that. But even still, it's not too long to wait after Thanksgiving. Oh, I love the holidays!!! So, I have lots of projects getting wrapped up (supposedly) these next couple weeks... hopefully I'll be able to get it all done and keep up my good grades.

Tomorrow, I get to preregister for my spring semester classes, since I'm in honors classes. If I didn't take honors, I'd have to wait until Dec. 4th to register! But I get to register even before the seniors or grad students do! Hopefully, I'll get into everything I want/need; I couldn't figure out a back up schedule just in case, so I hope I won't need a plan B. *holds breath in anticipation* Man, I wish it was already done. I planned my schedule weeks ago, as soon as the course times came out. IF I get into to what I want, I will have a buisness math class MWF at 8-8:50; a design lecture M at 10:20-11:10; a computer class for design-ish programs MW at 11:30-1:35; an honors design studio (which is the one I'm worried about - only 18 spots and a fair amount of competition for it) MW at 3-5:05; construction science 2 TR at 8-9:15; and architecture history 1 (I'm in 2 right now) TR at 12:45-2:00. Mondays will be killer and I won't have Fridays off anymore, but it was the only way I could work it out. The lectures only had one section each, so they kind of forced everything else to only one choice. Which is why I don't have a plan B. *nervous fidgeting...* Wish me luck!

ANYWAY, the following are a sampling of some stuff I've done in drawing... Some of it is pretty old though most are current. Sorry if they are hard to see; most are just daily exercises in pencil which doesn't photograph extremely well.

This is a redesign floor plan and section of the Azimuth, Langford's cafe for the Architecture students, an awful ugly jumble of tables and odd end counters put in an old computer lab with no decoration at all, not even to cover the old cords. The students have a theory that they keep it ugly so that we always have a project possibility to design a new interior so if they actually redesigned, we wouldn't need the project anymore. SO, here is my take, pretty simple. We had to draw a colored pencil picture of what it would look like with light using only black and white on brown/gray paper, but I don't have a photo of it yet. It turned out kind of odd though.
This was a one point grid exercise making floating colored blocks in which only two could touch the sides of the box.
This was a one point grid exercise on interior spaces using a floor plan designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (a very bizarre floor plan at that... why would anyone need eight glass doors into the same living room?)

Another one point perspective grid exercise...

Yet another one point perspective grid exercise (think we did enough?)

This is from back in September, just now got it back. It's a two point perspective sight drawing of the Zachry Engineering building, where I have my construction class.

0 comments: