skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Every year, Texas A&M puts on Big Event, which is a large student run day of service where all the organizations and groups on campus all get together and are given service projects to do around the community. Last year 10,600 students participated and estimates that last Saturday there was nearly 12,000 students. I went with the AIAS (American Institute of Architecture Students), about 15 of us, and we were assigned a residence that wanted to expand their gardens. So, we spent about three hours cutting out the grass, moving the sod to some bare sections of the yard, and putting new dirt in the garden. It was hard work and left me pretty tired and sore, and it was really muddy since it had rained several inches the day before, but it wasn't so bad once we got into it and the weather was surprisingly cool. And, it beats doing homework any day.
The before shot - the brown line was the border of the new expansion. All that grass had to go. We were using shovels and hoes and saws and even a machete to get the sod transportable.
Erin and I were the sod movers. We loaded the cut grass sections into the wheelbarrow and moved them to the front of the yard.
It was very muddy work - we were completely covered by the end of the day, but still having fun.

Some of the people on the dirt moving group. There was also a weeding group that got ten full garbage bags of weeds from all the gardens around the house.
... helping move dirt once the sod was in place.
...the finished new garden plot, ready for topsoil and plants.
... the whole yard work gang. gig 'em, aggies! I'm so glad I got to go and I know it was a great service for that family. Can't wait until next year's big event.
0 comments:
Post a Comment