...it's been a while. I've been really swamped since spring break, but now that my classes are pretty much over, I finally have some free time to update.
As for classes, I just have one more class in drafting to turn in our last project, then two exams - one in gov't and a cummulative one in structures. So, while grades aren't officially out yet, most of my classes are done, so here's my two cents on each.
Drafting - this class became really annoying. We spent two months going painfully slow on the first project, then he gave us two weeks on the second project which was much more complex. We're only spending a week and a half on this last project, which really isn't a project - we are just doing the first four tutorials of a relatively new architecture computer program called Revit. ... but we know it better than the prof and the last few lectures we've really just been teaching him. ... annoying. Luckily though, it's been a breeze compared to studios and hasn't taken too much time, and practically no extra supplies (always a plus). And while I probably don't know enough to go into an internship doing this stuff yet, I did get a lot of practice using the programs, which can't hurt. So long as I turn in the last project, I'm expecting an A in here.
Theory - IT'S OVER!!! I turned in my last weekly paper on thursday and I actually managed to write the full seven page research paper without too much difficulty (I probably spent more time stressing/worrying about it than actually writing it...) not that it was easy, but it's done. And, I started bringing up my grade to the point where, if I get a B on the big paper, I'll have a B in the class! That's really saying something, since most people, me included, would be happy just to get a C and pass it. I mean, this is the prof that boasted of the fact that a third of his students fail his class. It would be so nice to get a B in here... but I'll be content so long as I pass and don't have to retake it.
Political Science - such a boring class... by the end of the semester, I think attendance was only around 50... out of a class of 400 or more... just one more test. But I'll have to study a lot more if I want an A. There are four tests, equal weight including the final, and I've gotten: 88, 88, and 88. See a trend? Unfortunately, Texas A&M only gives A, B, C, D, and F. No pluses or minues. So anything between 80 and 89 is a B, a 3.0. I'd like an A, but I'll need at least a 95 on the final... we'll see.
Health/Self Defense - I actually finished this class last week (my teacher is now on maternity leave so she finished the semester early) and have my final grade - A! :) I really liked this class. Our last skills test was on throwing attackers over your shoulder. :D I was worried when I heard we'd be doing this (she never actually fully demonstrated it, for obvious reasons), but it's a lot easier than it looks, though I think I was better at being thrown than throwing... either way, I liked this class, and I'm glad I dropped pilates last semester and took this one instead. Granted, no clue if I'd actually be able to do any of this stuff in real life, but whatever.
Structures - I do like this class, thought even I will be glad once it's over. It's just getting a lot trickier, and while I'm understanding it fine, a lot of my class doesn't... so instead of studying more, they just cheat. And that's really frustrating, because they copy answers off each other or students who took it last year or mine (at least they try). I don't want to be mean, but I don't want to give my answers to people who refuse to try. I spend a lot of time on my homework, it's not fair if they spend their time hanging out with friends and 'forget' to do their work. Luckily, I have one friend who's like me and we stick together and won't give out our papers - it's a lot easier when someone else agrees with you. Plus, even if they get the right answers for the homework, they still don't get it and fail the quizzes. And they'll all be creamed by this final (my friend and I have started studying her review, and by the looks of it, if you don't the stuff, you won't pass.) Aside from that, as long as I study, I'm not too worried about the final. I'm currently making a 101 in this class. :D I think I'll make an A in here, lol.
That's all my classes. ... we got back our portfolio reviews - most everyone, me included, got pretty harsh reviews, which was kind of a blow at the time, but looking back, I guess it wasn't so bad. At least I wasn't one of the "bad" examples on the slideshow they showed at the award presentation. Plus, it didn't affect me getting into upper level and it was my first time every doing one, and a bunch of other people got similar responses. I now know a few things I could have done differently... if I ever choose to make one again (or if I have to). And at least now I can look forward to Italy in the fall! All my forms are in, passport arrived in good time, down payments are paid... it may take half my life savings (...more if the dollar keeps falling the way it has been), but it'll be worth it, right?
And in other news, probably the biggest (at the moment, or at least one of the main reasons I've been so swamped) - I got a job! I saw a help wanted ad in the architecture building the week I got back from spring break for an archive assistant job for CRS Center doing scanning and proofreading. They needed someone for the summer, and they only work 8-5 weekdays. It seemed just like what I wanted, a desk job that didn't deal with money or people or phones that wouldn't have me working evenings or weekends, right on campus so very convenient (no driving required), $7/hour (more than I probably would have gotten as a cashier), and needed summer availability - and what do you know, I had just decided to stay for the summer. So, that next Monday, I applied for the job. That Wednesday, I had to take a proofreading/typing test (which I aced), and by Friday, I was offered the job and started work that next Monday. I have now finished my fourth week of my job, and while I'm still learning what all I need to do, I really enjoy it. There are only two other student workers and then the secretary of the center (who hired me) and then the head archiver who answers our questions. Our job is to take all these documents and pictures that have been saved for over a 50-year time span of the CRS Architecture company (once a really large famous company, now dissolved into smaller units) and archive them so they are available online for research. So basically, I sit at a desk all day scanning, typing up, and entering into databases lots of documents. I love it! :) It's everything I could've asked for in a job. Plus, it's small, the people are all really nice and they are very flexible about hours and understanding about us being students first (things I never got as a cashier). And they've already told me that if I want to, I can come back to the job in the spring after my study abroad. Cool, huh? Also, having a paycheck now is always a plus.
It was tricky getting used to working again (it's been nearly two years since I last had a job), especially with school, and all my church commitments. Our ward choir has had two performances and has two more this weekend just since spring break, one of which was our huge Easter program, which went very well, hence all the future performances (...and I kept getting asked to do smaller music numbers too along with lots of other favors. I just have a hard time saying no, especially church related stuff... besides, some of it was actually really nice. I did an a cappela duet with my friend Ruth who is a music major and sings opera very well, and people actually praised us for singing and blending so well - imagine that... it was also fun to see the shocked look on some people's faces because a lot of people don't realize I sing, lol.) After a couple weeks (esp. once my final paper for theory was done), it got a lot easier and I'm a lot better at time management...ish. well, I'd like to think I am... okay, I'm not really, but at least I can fit in all that I did before on top of my job now, where at first it seemed impossible.
ANYway, as you can tell I've been pretty busy with lots of changes (more than just my hair, though that one did take some getting used to). And the next couple weeks will bring even more changes. By this time in two weeks, I will be forever out of the dorms and settled into an apartment for the summer. I'll have a new roommate, one that's actually a church member (that'll be new), and my own room and a kitchen (very stoked about that!). This school semester will be over and I'll be working for a few weeks before starting my calculus class in June.
*sigh* life just keeps moving along, whether I'm ready for it or not. ...maybe someday I'll be able to embrace change worry-free... unlikely, but I can dream.
1 comments:
Oh honey, we are sooooooooooo proud of you. You amaze us in fact! You have really matured and grown up a lot in these past few years and it really is showing. Wow! you have been busy. We would say you have a good handle on time management to get all that you have done done. It makes us happy to hear of all your comings and goings. So happy you like your job. That's great! And now a new apartment with kitchen etc. Really cool Sarah. Keep up the good work. We didn't know you sang either. Now you will have to sing for us sometime. We love you and want all the very best always for you. Keep that wonderful smile on your face. It is beautiful.
Post a Comment