okay, I know I wrote forever and ever and a page on my last post, but I felt that I still forgot something and I just remembered what (well, actually my mom reminded me). A few weeks ago, my parents came and visited me for Parents Weekend! I don't have any pictures though; they took the pictures.
So they came down late on a friday. We were supposed to go to Midnight Yell that night, but it had been storming pretty badly all day and we didn't want to sit in the cold rain, so we skipped it for some extra sleep. Saturday was a very full day. That morning we went to a brunch reception for a scholarship I received where everyone had a chance to meet the donors for their specific scholarship. I had already met them the previous November when my donors, Mr. and Mrs. Webb, had a luncheon for the students, so my parents got to meet them. They are so nice and welcoming, wanting to get everyone's picture and talking to everyone, as if they aren't doing enough as it is providing financial assistance for four years of school. After that we walked around campus a little before going to the Bevo Burn BBQ. (For those who don't know, bevo is the longhorn mascot at rival school university of texas) It wasn't too bad, I suppose. They had lots of barbeque and live music and we even got to see the Aggie Wranglers, a really good country dancing team with some elaborate lifts and moves. It probably would've been better had it not been 45 degrees outside with a freezing cold wind in our faces... in the middle of April in Texas!!! A really bizarre cold front came in for that weekend and left us in a scramble - we were in t-shirts expecting 80 degree weather. (... side note, that is really really cold for here, we rarely go below 40's even in december) At one point, my dad went to the car and brought back a blanket, so mom and me huddled under it for the music/dance performances, making it much more enjoyable. After that, we had some extra time before the Maroon & White football game (our team plays itself just for fun and really cheap), so we went to warm up in this one building near the stadium I pass all the time but never went in. It ended up being a small museum for the Corps of Cadets and their history, so that was kind of neat. Then we went to the game, which was pretty good, though probably not as intense - they wouldn't let anyone tackle the quarterback, since they didn't want him to get injured by his own teammates I suppose. That made it a little boring though. :) They did do all the traditional yells which I tried to join in - I don't know all of them yet. I do know most of one, but forgot to warn my parents - in one part of the yell, everyone puts their arms around the people next to them and as one big row, sway back and forth. So my dad got forced into swaying a random aggie on his other side before I even realized that they were doing that particular yell. Oh well, he's a good sport. It was neat to see the marching band do their thing, all members of the corps, so very military-esque/strict sharp movements, very well done. We left after half time so I could show my parents around campus and where my studio is, show them the projects I had been working on. Then they took me grocery shopping, and helped move out some stuff I didn't need anymore (like my bike - it doesn't fit in my car, but they brought a truck specifically so they could haul it home). Then the weekend was over. It was a lot of fun, short as it was. Nice to get a break from studies and have a chance to see my parents and show them all aggieland has to offer.
okay, that's the last of it! I'll try not to make future entries so ridiculously long like last one... maybe... :)
Just 4 more days until it's SUMMER!
2 comments:
Thanks for adding this. We had a fun weekend in spite of the cold. Loved seeing you and seeing your school and the work you are doing. See you soon.
Love, Mom
Hey I miss your posts but glad to be seeing you this weekend. Love Grandma
Post a Comment