Considering I haven't posted since graduation, which now seems eons ago, I thought I should give an update.
I am quite enjoying my summer, especially since fairly early into it, I quit my part time job at Garden Ridge. I was going to try and stick with it until I go on vacation in a few weeks, but I was just so stressed out and having panic attacks too often. I couldn't ever get my managers to listen to me about scheduling conflicts or anything, for that matter. I had been there for nine months without any raises and getting paid worse than new employees with no experience. They kept getting new cashiers (really high turn over rate) and management, who kept changing policies practically daily. And (a really big reason), the week after I quit was going to be a huge Shop-a-thon sale where they don't close the store for 4 straight days - not fun at all to work during and I was worried that the new managers wouldn't let me keep my Sunday off (my old managers were much more respectful about my religious beliefs in keeping the Sabbath Day holy) since it was the big summer sale. And second, I had earned so much over the school year that with scholarships and parents' assistance, I have more than enough money to pay for my first year of schooling. SO, to give myself I more enjoyable and stress free summer, I QUIT! :D Oh, how much fun it is not to have to worry about going to work. I feel so much more empathy and gratitude for my parents and all those who stay in crummy jobs to earn a living. I'm sure glad that job was not tied so closely to my basic living needs like food or a house payment and such. I also feel so much more happy when I have no commitments than before I worked. Like they say, you don't realize what a good thing you have until it's gone.
So, with all my new found free time, I have been doing the stereotypical lounging and playing computer games, but I've also gone out biking on the city trails a lot and just got a pilates DVD that is really good. I also have been working a lot on my scrapbook, trying to get it up to date (before I started this summer, I only had through summer 2004...) I also plan to do some crocheting, cross-stitching, and re-learn how to knit... again (only the third time I've learned and forgot). I also have to keep busy in my calling as Relief Society pianist learning new songs and plan on going to institute this week. Today was in fact a ... treat. I was called to substitute piano playing for the primary! I haven't been in there since I was 11. That was something else. I think I like relief society better in that the most we ever sing is three songs. Golly, in young women the most we ever sung was one song, maybe on a good day with all the verses.
... well, nothing else really interesting. I go on Wednesday for a few days to College Station for freshman orientation (*shudders*). It's still hard to fathom that I'm a college freshman. I guess it'll feel more real once I have signed up for classes and am actually moving down there. I'll try to get some pictures of the campus to post.
1 comments:
So good to get your update. It was a treat today. Amanda,Nicloe, and Mari also updated so it was fun reading and catching up with all of you. Thanks. Sounds like you are having a great summer so far. I'll bet it is good to not be working and just relaxing and catching up. You have kept a pretty tight schedule and will be back on one soon enough. I'm glad you are able to do it. We got your card and happy you got it. It will be fun to know what you buy for your dorm with the big shopping sales coming up. fun fun fun. Love you Grandma
Post a Comment